9.12.06

The Lion King



Can I just say I loved this? James and I went to see this last night and it was absolutely brilliant. It was very similar to the Disney movie and for this reason would be great for little kids to go. The differences were that all the animals were played by people with fabulous costumes. After a while you forgot you were looking at a person singing but it definately looked like the animal! What I loved the most was the music--such haunting African rhythms and melodies. I believe a chap named Lebo M contributed in this arena- he grew up in Soweto South Africa. (Elton John did a lot of the music too---Circle of Life gave me shivers). The best part of having all of the African music added was that you walked away not only appreciating the Disney movie but feeling like you had visited Africa as well. (Can't wait to go in real life!) The whole thing was well worth the ticket price and seeing it in a theatre I hadn't been in was fun too. The Lyceum is huge and very ornate and the seats are the most comfortable in town. Anyway if you can't tell I had a good time!

6 comments:

sherrie said...

christine - i went to the lion king in l.a. about 4 years ago and like you said it was just awesome! so incredible that people can transform into those animals on stage and the music - well forget about it, just amazing! we also got to sit in on a special open forum with the actors afterwards which was so cool. if i could just talk neil into going to that kind of stuff with me now...les mis would be no. 1 on my list. have you seen it? i have to go someday!

christine said...

Yep seen Les Mis---very good--have not seen Phantom though and that's the last one on the list of the majors. Living in London you tend to get sucked into the whole theatre thing because that's what's cool here.

Angela said...

I am so jealous!! I have never been to a pro. play before but I want to so bad!! My top two would be Les Mis. and Phantom of the Opera. How awesome! How many have you seen?

christine said...

Too many to count! I'm still trying to figure a cool way to display all my programs and autographs from the plays and musicals I've been. If you have any ideas--let me know!

LucindaF said...

How wonderful. Brendan and I went to Phantom the night before we were married, it was enchanting. I too love les mis, and look forward to that. We dont' get a lot of broadway in boise, it's more small theatre, and I'd have to admit the only things I get out to are put on by the boise institute because we find out about them easier.
I was thinking about you the other day, watched Emma with my sisters and thought how amazing you've seen all of that beautiful european scenery. Jealous!

enickel said...

I loved Lion King also. My kids enjoyed it when it came to Seattle. Beauty and the Beast was another one that they loved. I just recently saw Wicked. You have to see that if it comes your way!