6.1.07

My New Hero


I am not big on TV--there's mostly a lot of complete rubbish on now (Celebrity Big Brother for example!). But, I do manage to catch the odd show here and there and last night was one of these exceptions. James and I caught the series premiere of "Ugly Betty" last night on Channel 4. I know its been over in the states for a few months now, but we over in the U.K. are sometimes a tad slow to get things. Anyway---Ugly Betty is my new hero. The show made me giggle and you can't help fall in love with the character played by I believe America Ferrara. Its about darn time that they put someone actually real on TV instead of people like Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan who do nothing for the self esteem of young girls out there. Usually I really wouldn't be so keen about promoting a show, but I think it has a good message that is really needed at the moment in our society. Too many things now are based on the superficial. Anyway--I know that I only saw the first episode but I know a decent thing when I see it and I have confidence that Betty will become a part of a new weekly ritual for me. Snaps for Ugly Betty!

5 comments:

LucindaF said...

I haven't seen it, I've heard of it. I'll have to give it a try one night.

sherrie said...

it's a cute show, but i don't watch it regularly...just see parts of it here and there. but yes it's nice to see that not all big stars have to look perfect to make it on tv.

Michelle said...

this looks cute...

Elizabeth C said...

I know! I totally agree, I heard about that show, and I think that it is much better for girls to have a "real" hero, model than one who is fakely perfect.

Angela said...

I agree with everyone, especially the fakely perfect part. Hollywood and their fake teeth, fake plastic bodies--eating disorders and surgery, etc. I can't stand either of them-- Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan. Especially LL because she made shows in her earlier years that my kids like and now they like her. I tell them that she is not a good role model but they are in love with her in her early years. This look like a good show.