22.4.07

London Marathon 2007

Every year London is invaded by thousands aiming to induce pain and suffering upon themselves by running 26.2 miles. This year over 30,000 met the challenge and just as many if not more stood on the sidelines cheering friends and loved ones on. The London Marathon is considered among the great running races in the world right up with the Boston and New York Marathons. This in mind the route is probably the most historical of these where you get to run past the Tower of London, over London Bridge and finishing next to Buckingham Palace. If you live in the city its something that you just have to do and in the end you get the accomplishment of doing an incredible physical feat as well as raising money for charity.
I never used to give a rat's ass about sporting events but then I met my boyfriend James and his family who are avid runners and are incredibly fit and active. I myself have been suckered into nearly a dozen 5 and 10K races now around London since moving here in 2001. As far as the marathon is concerned: James has run it, both his parents have run it and his dad has now done it twice as of today! I am quite impressed because his dad for this year's race nearly raised £5,000 ($10,000) for the charity Leukemia Care which he himself was diagnosed with a year or so back. So well done David!
So the real question is will I do the marathon next? I have to say it is definitely in the works if I can get a place. Hopefully this will happen (I did try to get in this year w/out luck) next year and I can start plodding the pavement in preparation later this year. So cross your fingers and watch this space!
Here are some pics from today:

Its hard to tell where the runners are and the crowd begins! This is in Greenwich and the runners are on the left.
The runners near Big Ben

James' dad David--relieved to be finished!

3 comments:

Elizabeth C said...

That is great that you and James are so involved with these things! They are so good for the community and for your health. I love the pic on top, where the runners are encouraging each other with a high five. Great job capturing that moment.

sherrie said...

hope you get to run! this is such a great way to stay up beat and healthy. i've always wished i could run like this, but i have asthma ;( i've always preferred going out into nature and exercising compared to being in some sweaty gym.

Angela said...

Wow! I have always been impressed with people who could run marathons! My husband used to run them but not for a long time. And one for a good cause is even better! Hope you get to run!