10.6.07

Absolutely Brilliant


Finally, I got to see this with James tonight. I've wanted to see this for many MANY years but I could never afford the tickets. Thank goodness for theatre vouchers cause otherwise we could never have been able to go ($80/£40 for the cheap tickets). So thanks David & Pam!

Anyway--it really is what everyone says it is just absolutely incredibly brilliant. It's way better than the movie and even kept James awake for two and a half hours (he usually falls asleep in musicals) so it must be good. The best part is that it was at Her Majesty's Theatre which was the original theatre that Phantom had its world premiere way back in 1986 (two years before it hit Broadway). Funny how people can never get tired of something.

The story is very sad and by the end you feel sorry for the Phantom and wonder if maybe had had a proper childhood, a good plastic surgeon and got out a bit more if he would be in this mess. But then I doubt it would be as romantic a musical about a disfigured chap crying about his mum to his shrink now would it? Personally I am happy to go along with the whole 'tragic romance' thing--much much more fun.

It was great to 'escape' for a few hours to see this and let my mind wander off. That's what's so great about the theatre as one minute you're in Paris or 19th Century America and you never know where you'll go or what adventure (or crisis) you'll encounter in the next production. I love how 'real' and almost organic the theatre is and how I feel like I am sharing "moments" among friends. Anyway- these reasons and productions like I saw tonight are why you'll always see me ticket in hand and a big grin on my face at the theatre. So till next time!

6 comments:

sherrie said...

so cool. i've been trying to talk neil into taking me to this and les mis here in frisco some time soon. he's not a theatre person, but i think i can talk him into it. too bad michael crawford and sarah brightman retired, i'm sure they were fantastic!

Angela said...

How amazing it must have been! And double amazing to see it in the original theatre! Incredible! As for me, here's dreaming...

mollie said...

INCREDIBLE! Christine, I am so glad you are on here....we can all live vicariously through you!

sherrie said...

hey christine, the orphanage blog is looking really great! you've done such a good job. looks really professional ;)

Elizabeth C said...

I KNOW THAT STORY IS SAD, MARK HAS SEEN THAT SHOW, BUT I HAVEN'T (BESIDES THE MOVIE!) I'LL GO SEE IT SOMEDAY

Celestia said...

That is so awesome that you went! I went by myself the first time I visited London. It was awesome. I started to stand up at the end because I am used to giving standing ovations for an incredible performance from the US. The next day I read an article in the London paper that English people don't like to give ovations, they just say bravo! and I was like "Ohhhhhhh" You should also see Les Mis. I also went alone to that one and got great seats at the last minute for a good price. I totally bawled at the end. I felt silly because I was by myself and bawling hard, but I couldn't help it it was so emotional at the end of the story. It is hilarious when I think about what the people sitting on either side of me must of thought!