8.9.07

Atonement

Only one word can describe it--Beautiful. I'm talking about the film Atonement with James McAvoy and Keira Knightley which came out this weekend in the UK (released 7 Dec-US). Its got the critics salivating quite a bit at the mouths here and its being talked as the Best British film in years and that it could easily sweep the Oscars. (The same director of Pride and Prejudice reunited with Keira Knightley for this picture). Media hype easily dies down obviously but I absolutely loved it. I saw it today with my friend Helen and it was worth the £15 ($30) ticket to see it in Leicester Square. The story and acting are brilliant (loved Vanessa Redgrave in particular), the music is incredibly gorgeous and the photography--well its in a world all its own and reminded me of a 'Monet painting'. I'd love to read the book eventually too and hear that its a treat in itself (books always are!). I really adore movies like this that are so multi-layered and appeal to those who can appreciate films as a work of art. It seems such a rarity now in films today which is another reason why this film was absolutely a sheer pleasure. It will be interesting to see if the hype of 'Atonement' continues when it opens in other countries but in the meantime I'm glad I got a chance to see such a brilliant film!

4 comments:

sherrie said...

wow this movie really does look amazing. i'm so sad it's rated r - as i've promised myself not to see anymore of them for personal reasons. otherwise i'd be half way to the theater right now. but i can read the book! i'll have to go to barnes and noble and get this one soon.

sherrie said...

i guess if i was half way to the theater right now it would do me no good as the movie isn't even out here yet! ha!

christine said...

ya--the R rating is the only downside unfortunately. It's R mostly because of a few instances of strong words used, some sexual stuff and some war scenes. Besides only a couple of brief 'disturbing' spots I found it a heck of a lot milder than most R films I've seen. Not trying to get you to go against your convictions though as you've got a lot more strength than me on this one which I admire. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to movies like this--I'll watch anything that looks amazing even if there's a bit of strong subject matter. Yes-definitely get the book if you can. There's loads of twists and turns in the story that will make it an easy page turner. :)

LucindaF said...

Yes, I haven't heard of it, what a shame on the rating, I love british films. I'm sure you're right Christine, there are some pg-13's that are probably worse. Let me know how the book is, I might have to check it out.