4.10.07

Eat, Pray, Love


Only 7 days (not counting or anything!) till my holiday to Morocco and I thought heck why not get a little start on my book I bought specifically to take with me. Well 4 days later I've finished the darn thing! I blame the author for writing such an enjoyable, inspiring, thought provoking book about her journey of self-discovery traveling for a year through Italy, India and Indonesia. Its her fault the pages are now all dog-eared and underlined due to the fact I don't want to forget the inspiring things she's said and that I'm sleep deprived due to staying up till nearly 1 a.m. the last few nights trying to find out what happens next. Its her fault as well I have to find a new book now to take on holiday--so Damn You Elizabeth Gilbert!! Anyway--Its interesting though how things come in your life at the exact moment you need them and this book has filled this beautifully. To some who read this it may not hit a chord or you may think its rubbish but for me this book I could relate to on so many different levels. I guess that's why I feel so exhausted (in a good way) having finished it because her journey has been my journey. Sure the exact circumstances surrounding hers was different, but each one of us is ultimately on the same path aren't we; to try to figure ourselves out and to find peace and happiness. We sure beat ourselves up in the process sometimes (myself included) but if we take the time to slow down, listen and understand the words self-compassion and love we can do and enjoy so much more of this short period of existence called life. It reminds me of a passage in the book that says, " The problem with all this swinging through the vines of thought is that you are never where you are. You are always digging in the past or poking in the future, but rarely do you rest in the moment."
My life has had periods of such chaos and I forget sometimes to experience and take in the moment. Even if it is painful and horrid I need to embrace these times as well because it is all part of listening to what God/the universe/whatever you want to call it is trying to teach me. The chance to truly listen though comes only when you peel away all the layers of your life. I like what the book says about this, " The only place the mind will ever find peace is inside the silence of the heart. "
Although I'm exhausted and my pillow is beckoning me--I am glad I read the book. I guess what I learned from this in the end is to embrace the stillness, embrace the moment, listen more, to love myself and to love others. Sure I'll mess up but I'm going to just do my best each day which is all anyone can do really. Its not the end result that we learn the most from, its the process getting there. Being alive is extraordinary and I have/ we all have so much to be grateful for and to be exuberant about. Having this gratitude, this contentment is so key to obtaining inner peace and ultimately being able to help yourself and others. Its like the book says, " The search for contentment is...not merely a self-preserving and self-benefiting act, but a generous gift to the world. "

5 comments:

James said...

After all the greatest critic is the voice in your own mind and heart. For surely if you feel bad or guilty about something then deep within your sould and heart you know the voice is speaking the truth.

That is why so many people shy away from the quiet times or the alone times because that is when that voice is heard the loudest and the louder the drums beat the bigger the issue must be within yourself.

So many people try to silence the drum with drink, with drugs or even with doing service projects around the world. As they believe that personal happiness comes from doing so much which is a great sentiment but if that core i.e. your friends family and loved ones suffer then there is something wrong.

Like with a Mahogony or Oak Tree, it takes time to grow and mature. It's fully beauty will never be seen for 10's to hundreds of years because they are in no rush there base is firm and strong and the foundation is secure so one day the tree will bloom and although it took 50 years for it the bloom will feed the local population for a life time - time well spent I feel.

Michelle said...

christine, thank you for this review! i have seen the book and was wondering if it would be a worthwhile read. sounds like it is...i love that last quote, it is so true.

Anonymous said...

I was at Target today checking out that book. I bought another about an Amish girl, but will have to go back and get that! Thanks. Erika

Elizabeth C said...

Wow! That sounds like a fantastic book! That really says something about it that you couldn't put it down! I'll have to go pick myself up one of those babies!!

sherrie said...

love those quotes too. i'd never heard of it, but sounds like a great read.