17.7.08

changes


i am feeling rather blessed to have lived in such an amazing city as london for nearly 7 1/2 years. i think back to when i arrived in march 2001 how innocent i was & how much life experience i lacked. i was 25 & literally just out of college & besides visiting england beforehand--had never really been anywhere or done anything. college was tough for me & on leaving i really desperately wanted to travel the world and do something spectacular with my life. the opportunity arose randomly to move to london & i just ran with it, sold nearly everything i owned & flew across the world with just 2 suitcases. boy i was scared & if the 60 lbs i put on a couple months later was anything to go by {have since lost nearly all of it}--it was an adjustment to say the least.

fast forward to 2008---i'm 32 now & had so many opportunities & experiences i never thought possible. i've traveled the world to places i've always dreamed of, met loads of celebrities, seen some of the most amazing theatre productions, musical performances & some of the best art in the world. i live 10 minutes from one of the coolest parks ever, only 20 minutes by train from big ben & the heart of the city & only two hours by train to paris. i wouldn't trade any of these experiences for the world & i know it sounds slightly cheesy but these moments i've had have made me the girl i am now.

i don't know what path my life would have taken if i had never moved here nearly a decade ago. who knows if i'd be married, if i had the career of my dreams, that white picket fence, kids or even a pet dog. i'm happy though with what experiences i've had so far & i feel like the many layers of me that were inside finally were peeled away & allowed to shine through. my perspective on life & the world around me has completely changed--i know what sustains me & what i want more of in my life. i want to surround myself with good food, yoga & exercise, travel, books, music & absolutely all things creative. i want to watch more old movies of audrey hepburn, eat gelato in rome & people watch in a sidewalk cafe in paris. things like these remind me that life is truly extraordinary & you have to take it by the scruff of the neck & ride it till the sun don't shine. if i died tomorrow, i'd look back & say my life was spectacular & i wouldn't have it any other way.

so i guess you could say i love growing up. i love seeing where you've come & figuring out where to go in the future. i'm grateful for these moments in london, that james has been right by my side & helped along the way and for everyone who has crossed my path these 7 years---thank you. thank you for being my teachers in every possible way & teaching me to love this gift that has been given to me.




i can't wait to see what the next 7 years will bring.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

BEAUTIFUL post! I *LOVE* this post!!!!

What a story-book like life you've had and this post makes me want to learn so much more about you. :)

Write some more!!!

p.s. I am so happy to have met you as well, thanks for crossing my path in life :)

Michelle S said...

great post, christine! does all of this reflection mean you've had a birthday recently?

christine said...

nope--no birthday---just thinking a lot recently.

sherrie said...

you've done a lot since you've been there! i sounds like adventure after adventure.

Carolyn said...

I'm so glad you're so happy with the twists and turns your life has taken!

Meg said...

Hi Christine, found you through Blogher..love that place...

Great blog by the way and I love this post, I can't wait to read more about you! I still haven't made it to London yet, for now, I will live vicariously through you!

Hugs from the Hill Country in Texas sweetie!
Meg