30.6.10

Running in London


I am doing another 10k run on Saturday. I've lost count with how many I've done but I do enjoy them. I usually avoid charity runs because its hard to raise the money but when I heard that Run for Congo was doing their first London run I had to participate.

Run for Congo Women raises money through running races for Women for Women International. They help female survivors of war to help rebuild their lives and build self-esteem.  They operate through sponsorships and donations where the women then participate in one year programs which provide:  financial aid, job training, rights awareness and leadership education.


I had heard about this charity initially on a episode of Oprah.  Watch a Clip Here.   I had no idea about what was going on in the Congo.  Apparently some of the tribes that initiated the Rwandan Genocide who were driven out of Rwanda are now in the Congo.  Its a very dangerous place and obviously its not a safe place for the women who end up seeing things, surviving things (like rape, mutilation) that no one should ever have to even think of dealing with in their life.

Nicholas Kristoff one of my favorite NYT columnists has written extensively about the Congo.  Read here for more information.

When I get a job and my financial situation stables out I plan to sponsor a woman in the Congo through Women for Women.  In the mean time, I'm doing this race.  My goal is £150 which is the recommended fundraising amount!  I'm nearly there....only £35 away.  I REALLY want to get the entire amount and actually accomplish this goal.  I would be very grateful if any of you could help me reach this amount by sponsoring me in this race??  Every penny helps it really does plus it would go towards such an incredible cause!!

If you click on the button below it will take you to my Justgiving page.  I don't touch any of the money....it goes straight to the organization.  All countries/currencies are welcome.

Thank You very much for the support!


Christine

2 comments:

Deb D'Onofrio said...

I hope the run went well, C. Ur blog is compelling..thank u for sharing in such a real and honest way about the hard stuff. Know u've got us across the pond, sending winds for wings to soar on!

Deb

christine said...

Thanks Deb!

The runs tomorrow actually but thank you!