24.7.10

My evening with Seane Corne

picture from HERE

I had the pleasure of being able to do a yoga class with Seane Corne last night at TriYoga in Primose Hill. Seane Corne is a world famous yoga teacher.  I credit her DVDs to being my first 'real' exposure to yoga about 5/6 years ago when I started practicing.  I think I had tried doing some 'weight loss' yoga DVD before hers but it wasn't really yoga or a very good video at all.  When I finally got Seane's DVDs it was like, 'oh so this is what yoga is'.  She made it feel familiar, right and wonderful all at the same time.

I think without yoga I'd be in a completely different place right now in my life.  I'd probably still be well over 250 lbs and much much unhappier.  Yoga started me on a healing journey (that I'm still on) and completely changed who I am....or maybe I should say....it has brought the real me back out.  It also eventually led me to get more interested in healthy eating, the environment, etc.  Without Seane Corne's DVD's honestly none of this would have ever happened.

So, you could say I was BEYOND nervous to actually take a class with her in person.  In an indirect way she greatly influenced my life and is one of my heroes.That kind of thing tends to bring the butterflies out.

------

The minute I walked into the TriYoga studio, I felt my nerves dissipate.  Its like a spa with candles and incense all around painted in colors that soothe:  purples, blues, yellows.

 I waited patiently in the class (on the back row).  I was a tad apprehensive about being the biggest girl there.  Yes, I was but I managed to hold my own in the class I have to say.

Seane walked in and my first impression was oh my gosh she's stunning.  She's so little but yet radiates such peace and calm.  Physically she's gorgeous....and boy she's got a head of hair on her!  She also looks strong enough she could bench press a NFL line backer without breaking a sweat.

She chatted to the class for about 1/2 hr giving us an introduction to her style, to her philosophy of yoga.  I can't remember everything she said but I remember how I felt.  This was going to be a class that would change me.

We then hit the mat.....two hours of yoga flew by.  It was exhausting but motivating and inspiring at the same time.  When she came around and adjusted us (including me)....it didn't feel like any unusual yoga class at all.  It felt like I was working with an old friend.  Seane's class was funny, challenging, motivating and incredibly inspiring.  I wasn't surprised that by the end of the class, tears were streaming down my face.

Afterwards I went up and got a chance to chat to her for a minute.  I told her Thank You and a little bit of my background on why it was such a joy for me to meet her.  I was shaking a bit talking to her but I managed to say what I wanted to.  She gave me a hug goodbye.  It was absolutely amazing to meet her.  She was humble, gracious and an absolute delight.

It was one of the best experiences I've ever had.  I know it probably sounds a bit strange gushing about people like I have...but I think everyone has had individuals cross their paths that have greatly influenced them.  Seane Corne just happens to be one of mine.  I hope I'll get to work with her again.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep practicing yoga...getting stronger and stronger in something I adore.

1 comment:

Sydney Shop Girl said...

What a fantastic experience!

Thank you for sharing it. I've been a bit lazy with yoga recently and you've given me inspiration to get back into it properly.

SSG xxx