6.9.10

Paris: Cafés and a Cathedral









Pictures:  Angelina and Les Editeurs
                Notre Dame Cathedral

James and I both love the 'sitting in cafes for hours' part of Paris.  Time seems to stand still and all your worries go away whilst you watch the world go by.  When you're done with the touristy stuff you have lots more time for lounging around in cafes and restaurants.  We didn't mind doing that at all this trip.  Two places we like to go to when we come are Angelina and Les Editeurs.   Angelina is mostly famous for their chocolat chaud, deserts and that it used to be Coco Chanel's old tea place but they are a great place for light lunches too (price semi-OK).  Les Editeurs is in St Germain des Pres and the food is fantastic and a reasonable price for Paris.  We love it cause the interiors are surrounded by bookshelves full of old books.  Its our kind of place.  We also tried the famous Les Deux Magots but I'd never go there again.  Overpriced, horrible tea (which is all we could afford to get there) and snobby atmosphere.  You can't win them all I guess.

On the last day we had some time before our Eurostar train left.  We decided to walk to Notre Dame for some quiet meditation because we were both feeling melancholy about leaving.  It was pretty early to go....round 8:30/9 am I believe.  There were hardly any tourists when we went in which I found unusual but fantastic.  The first thing I heard was this amazing choir music being played over the sound system.  Besides one or two tourists the only people who were there were local who like us were looking for a teeny bit of solitude before being thrust back into the chaos of daily life.  As I walked through the cathedral the feelings of peace were overwhelming.  Its hard not to feel something in this particular church, some sense of a higher power no matter what religious belief you come from.

James found the statue of Joan d'Arc.  I lit a candle and said a prayer for myself asking God for strength to deal with the uncertainty and chaos right now in my life.  The tears were just streaming down my face.  James and I then looked for a perfect place to light a candle for my brother Spencer.    We picked right underneath the famous rose windows.  Those windows take my breath away every time I see them.  What better place to honor the life of my brother?  It was perfect. 

I think anyone who ever wants to see Notre Dame should go first thing in the morning so you can feel the peace and the solitude this church brings.  Its now my most favorite thing to do.  Every time I come to Paris, we will come to Notre Dame on the last day to meditate and to either light a candle in prayer or gratitude.

----

There's no way I could post all my Paris pictures on the blog, the rest of my pics are on my flickr stream of course if you want to check them out. 

3 comments:

Sydney Shop Girl said...

Thank you for sharing these photos christine. You captured the mood perfectly.

SSG xxx

Tracy D. said...

Your photos are so eye-catching! Great job.

Jude said...

What a gorgeous post full of lovely photos. I also adore that sitting-in-cafe-for-hours thing (that's how I met the love of my life! :))