24.11.10

Expats and the plight of canned pumpkin


I have to credit Libby's marketing team with making their canned pumpkin THEE most sought after thing round this time of year amongst the US expats.   Just this week I've seen posts on Facebook and blog-land from fellow expats trying to band together to find pumpkin or complaining that when they do how expensive it is.  Sure we could make it from scratch (its not that hard to find real pumpkin) but we don't.  It would probably taste the same, if not better.  I'm guessing that its that search for a piece of home this time of year even if it comes in the form of Pumpkin™.  If its not Libby's that your grandma used to use.....well you risk it not being pumpkin pie!

It used to be horrible here in London every Thanksgiving trying to find canned pumpkin.  I remember way back when...before whole foods came here and before our local Waitrose carried it for £2 a can that I went traipsing round all of London for weeks before I found it at Selfridges food hall for like £6 ($12).  Boy, I'm glad that the price has gone down so much.  So instead of one coveted can, I can buy two and spread the pumpkin joy round till Christmas.

Pumpkin pie isn't very beloved here.  A lot of Europeans cant stand it and think its brutal to make a squash into something sweet (James looked at me in shock horror when I told him about candied yams).  James bless his heart tries it every year and every year he gives me the same look after one bite:  please don't make me do this again.  Its OK, I feel the same way about blood pudding and haggis.  Secretly, I'm glad he hates pumpkin pie though.....more for me---but don't tell him that.




**You might enjoy this hilarious post by a US expat in Paris on pumpkin pie HERE.

11 comments:

Marty said...

Oh, my goodness this was a fun read! I found you through the Mortal Muses thankful blog hope...a little early :-)
I never even thought about not being able to have pumpkin pie...how horrible! I hope you enjoy yours with an extra dollop of whip cream.

Sydney Shop Girl said...

I've always been curious about pumpkin pie. Never eaten it before.

Happy Thanksgiving!

SSG xxx

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

This made me grin from ear to ear. I hate pumpkin pie and blood pudding too. Hahaha.

Thanks for hopping with us! Have a wonderful holiday and weekend!

And Miles To Go... said...

wow, didn't realize that it was so hard to get! Loved this post.

justine said...

I really enjoyed looking at your blog, is that snow coming through your shots? I have to say I am with your husband not eating pumpkin in a tin! it was a great post.

Kat Sloma said...

Yeah, just try finding cranberries in Italy too! There isn't even an Italian word for cranberries. Our canned pumpkin and cranberries were imported to Italy by visitors in the last month. Perfect timing. :)

christine said...

justine---yep its snow!!


THanks everyone for your comments! :)

Deidre said...

I've never been able to find canned pumpkin in Australia. so I make it from scratch. The strange thing is in the US I'd never eat pumpkin pie, I don't even really like it all that much. but for some reason now that i live in Australia, it's all i want.

MBC said...

Amen and amen. We're making our "pumpkin" pie out of butternut squash this year. Equally good.

Stockholm Expat said...

I am not a pumpkin pie person as sweet potato was our tradition at home. But this year my Swede's aunt and uncle bought me a can of organic pumpkin on their visit to Stockholm from Maine to support my early Thanksgiving efforts. We had family up from Gothenburg and down from Lungby and near by Lindingö.

So the pumpkin crisis didn't effect me. But I did hear about it at the American Women's Club Thanksgiving Luncheon. There was no canned pumpkin to be found in Stockholm for the trivia quiz winner gift bags. Alas, I had to settle for fresh sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, Stove Top stuffing, cranberry jello mix and marshmallows.

Ida Nielsen said...

Lucky you! Still haven't found any canned pumpkin here in Denmark!