16.12.10

Strange English Food

When I was in the states just recently I had questions regarding the weird food that Brits have had in their culinary traditions.  Please be aware some of the names are rather rude:

Haggis
Black Pudding
Steak and Kidney Pie
Pork Pie
Digestive Biscuits
Pigs trotters
Toad in the Hole
Spotted Dick
Ox Tongue
Bangers and Mash
Ploughman's Lunch
Bubble and Squeak
Welsh Rarebit
Faggot
Hob Nob
Marmite
Jellied eels
Pickled scotch eggs
crumpet
Soldiers
Twiglets
Treacle
Pork Scratchings
Kedgeree
Butty
Tatties and Neeps    (3rd paragraph down)
Fitless Cock
Scouse
Wet Nelly
Singing Hinnies
Cullen Skink
Inky Pinky
Knickerbocker Glory
Girdle Sponges  (fried sponge cakes)
Flummery
Huffkins
Priddy Oggies
Fool
Trifle
Eton Mess
Clapshot
Hog's Pudding
Love in Disguise
Scotch woodcock

If you click on the links...you'll see that most of them aren't disgusting....they are normal dishes with just have incredibly weird names.  I know that British food gets a bad reputation but there are some of the world's best restaurants in this country.  I wonder if these Michelin restaurants serve things like spotted dick though?  Makes you wonder. 

----

On other news....have a serious case of the flu at the moment...so no new pictures as I've been hiding out in my pajama's the last few days.  Hoping it doesn't interfere with my marathon training even more than this crazy December has.  Would love suggestions for getting better quick.   With marathon training and my birthday this weekend...I don't particularly want to be home-bound. 

Hope you are all well

Christine
xoxo

1 comment:

alexandria said...

It's fun to look over this list. Makes me giggle.